Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Here we go..... You ready?

100 MPH + on a track bike with no fork?

This project between my brother Jason Tiedeken and I has been on the burner for a while and its time to just hammer it out. I did the mock up of the bike and some of you got a sneak peek of it in the 360 deg view of my shop weeks back but its time to put it on the blog, plus a quick teaser video from Matt Ducot

The vision started about a year or so back when I asked my brother to team up with me to design and build something fun and fast, something that would get people thinking different about the bicycle industry and all the possibilities still out there when it comes to design.

He sent over some sketches for me to think about...



This one of the many 30 second sketch that caught my eye!





In my years of working in the prototype industry, I have got the opportunity to work with some of the most famous designers and engineers but my brother scores in the very top few because of his mad skills of thinking outside of the box as well as being one of the fastest design engineers on a computer, and then being able to walk in to the shop and build it, to put the cherry on top.
He is very highly in demand across many industries for that very reason.

Jason T, my brother and owner dude of Metal Morphosis Engineering threw a quick 3D drawing together of the creature to see what it would look like 
in Solidworks so we could decided the layout. This was a quick drawing to take some of the guess work out of it, there was nothing specific about his drawing to build off of, most of the time this style of 3D modeling is done as a point of concept to clear up any questions before the specific drawings are made and building starts. This is the reason there is no seat, the chainring goes thru the tube and so on, its nothing more then a good way to view your project in a different way then a hand drawing.

My brother's concept was locked down and it was now my job to make it a reality, my brother stepped back and let me do the magic in my Skunkworks shop in Oakland,CA. 

Peter from Cane Creek has always been a believer of anything rolling out of the MLS doors and was quick to join the effort with some sick carbon wheels and AER headset.

Since Cane Creek always helps me out I decided why not do an internal headset using their AER headset,
I decided to make it using a bottom bracket from a BMX frame I was suppose to build for a customer, the BB is the same size bearing bores as an internal headset, the only differences being in the small angle the bearings rest on ( you can see inside the tube), I machined an angle inside for the bearing rests. Kinda cool and it took about 5 minutes to make it work, if your ever looking for great info on machining headtubes for custom projects check out Cane Creek for PDFs they show every dimension need to make all sizes of HTs. 

I did some quick layouts dimensions to set up my frame table
The frame geo is based off of Lance's TT bike.
My frame table I built about 2 years ago was built for this very reason.
TO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE FIXTURE
not to be constrained by the requirements of where to put the tubes, it takes a bit longer to build a frame because you need to be measuring extra, but in the end, your brain has no limits to where you need to be.


I machine out all the parts to save every possible gram...
There did I sound like a roadie?
I machine out the parts just to make sure that later down the road if I need to back purge the frame with argon for better weld quality or if I need to run cables inside the frame I don't have to get ghetto crazy with the frame and do it the wrong way with a long drill bit and some beers.

I know your asking " How do this thing steer"??
good question
These good old "Morse Push Pull Cables" as seen on your dads dragster and boat
This one is for a TOP FUEL dragster hammer shifter from B&M
I havn't lock down all the details with it and the mounting but I had to start somewhere with the concept.



If you going to go over 100 MPH your going to need a big ring, maybe like 90+ tooth
Thats a 52 tooth laying on the table and check out those chainstays.. talk about a pain to make


As of right now this is how far I am.
I built the mock-up bike already to make sure it looked right.
I like it.
Now I am running a orbital sander over all the tubes to clean them and doing the final tacks and cuts on the tubes.

Matt Ducot working on the video teaser
I don't think he wanted me to take the picture?
He made this video so quick and with such little amount of footage, kinda makes me wonder what he would do if he had a lot of footage and way more time. 




                               Monkey Likes Shiny - 100mph + concept track bike
                                                    from Matt Ducot on Vimeo.


Remember tell you mom you seen it first here on MLS, she will be stoked.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, that looks killer. I gotta come by one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY COOL TO SEE SOMETHING SO DIFFERENT. LOOKS LIKE TONS OF FUN. EXTREMELY NICE WORK. I'LL BE LOOKING FOR UPDATES-

    ReplyDelete